Monday, July 20, 2009

Voltage in Europe? Can I use my hair straightener?

I am travelling to Italy and was planning on bringing my hair dryer and flat iron. The dryer uses 1875 watts + and my straightener gets very hot - up to 400 degrees. I was going to purchase an adaptor on line so I could use these appliances. I recently heard horror stories about girls trying to use their flat irons and them smoking and burning out. Same with dryers. I will die without both, what should I do? I have heard that if I buy an adaptor in Italy that it will work better than what I'd get here. What if I buy a cheap dryer that doesn't use as much voltage? Same with the iron. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... if you know if a good adaptor let me know!



Thanks!



Voltage in Europe? Can I use my hair straightener?

buy an adapter in italy



Voltage in Europe? Can I use my hair straightener?

the outlets aren't even the same as ours save yourself the trouble unless you are staying at an american or canadian hotel then maybe there is hope....lol



Voltage in Europe? Can I use my hair straightener?

I once asked a friend why there is a difference in types of electricity in Europe and she told me it was because of "The War". I believed her for about three minutes, and then i realized she was just teasing me.



Anyway, if you know the number or email address of the hotel's consierge (spelling there? it should be about right) where you are staying, get in touch with them and ask them to have a flat iron or hair dryer waiting in your room. Only, of course, if your hotel offers these services. Otherwise, When in rome, do as the romans do.



Voltage in Europe? Can I use my hair straightener?

You definitely need to buy an adapter somewhere. My sister went to Italy last year and her chi straightener melted and burned the piece of furniture in the hotel. She didn't know about the adapter thing.



If I were you I would go to an electronic store here first and ask them or you might try calling a local electrician and ask them over the phone what to get.



I think you would save a lot less time and stress if you just bought one here. It may be hard to find an adapter in Italy especially if other Americans are looking for them too.



Voltage in Europe? Can I use my hair straightener?

it depends on where you stay. larger, higher end hotels will be able to accomodate your "tools" ;). your best bet would be to call your hotel and ask them...it may save you the time, trouble and $$$ of buying an adapter if you won't really need it. most hotels will provide an iron and hair dryer in your room.

No comments:

Post a Comment